Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pizza Face! Prednisone and Acne - Argh!


It's as bad as it sounds. I'm glowing with the classic complexion of a hormone ravaged math nerd from the latest teen movie. Literally, hundreds of tiny pimples all over my face, neck, and chest - help!


It's another lovely side-effect of the Prednisone, which I am currently taking at a dose of 25mg per day. I'm weaning off, so the dosage is being reduced weekly, but it seems the break-out is only getting worse.


It started several weeks ago, but I was so thrilled to finally not be sick, that a little dermatitis seemed hardly consequential. However, the giddiness is starting to wear off, replaced by a growing horror each time I look in the mirror.


Make-up actually helps quite a bit for my face (it's nice to be female - sorry, guys!) I use Cover Girl Simply Powder Foundation in a compact. I don't like a lot of goop on my face (especially when its 90 degrees outside), and this is really light and natural looking and works quite well at covering the redness.



At this point, I'll take a moment to triumphantly brag that everyone comments on how great I look. I'd like to believe that this is true, that the make-up works fabulously, and that they honestly don't notice anything amiss. Though I have a sneaky suspicion that their generous comments spring from one of two sources:

1. Compared to the near-death pallor and gauntness of my countenance in previous weeks, I look much better, as in: "You're standing upright and your eyes are open? You look great!"

or,

2. They notice - they indeed notice - and in a fluster of shock and sympathy say the exact opposite of what comes to mind: "You look great!"


Actually, the brutal attack to my neck and chest bothers me much more. Lots of people struggle with facial acne, so I think it seems more normal. But on my chest - whoo! - it looks like I have small pox, or scarlet fever, or something equally alarming, and I don't want to frighten anyone. This led to my discovery that nearly every article of clothing I own is v-neck and offers no coverage what-so-ever.



I played around with some cute little scarves - but alas, I do not look cute, chic, or fashionably French - I just look like a dork trying too hard to dress up.


Anyway...I guess I'm just stuck for now. I finally when to target last night and picked up some Neutrogena acne cream. I'll see if it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment